Inspired by Green Mamma and Creative Kismet’s Tote Giveaway, I decided to try making my own reusable bag out of a pillowcase. After picking up a pretty striped pillowcase at Walmart, I tried it out. The stitching is not perfect, but I think it’s pretty good for a first try. It only took about 30 minutes start to finish!
Here’s how I made this pillowcase tote:
- Choose a pretty pillowcase. I decided to get a new one from Walmart, but an old favorite or a thrift store find are even better choices.
- Decide how big you want your tote to be. I liked the fancy solid edge for the top of the bag, so I cut off the hemmed end to make it the size I wanted.
- If you use the hemmed end, then you don’t have to sew a seam along the bottom. I sewed straight across the bottom, then sewed on a diagonal across the corners to make the shape of the bottom fancier.
- Using the remaining fabric scraps, I cut two long rectangles, one for each handle. I sewed along one edge to make a tube-like shape.
- I decided where I wanted the handles to go, pinned them on, then sewed a large box with an X in the middle so it would hold on well. I used a zigzag stitch because this one was visible.
So there it is, a simple, fast, pillowcase tote. It’s so cute, so much better than those ugly green bags that everyone (including me) is carrying around these days. Maybe I’ll make myself a whole set of colorful, floral and striped bags.