Ed was out on the clam boat with his brother Chris all day today. I wanted to make him a dessert to warm him up, but that was also good for him!
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a medium bowl, mix together:
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a stand mixer, beat until light and fluffy:
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unbleached molasses sugar, or brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
Add to the sugar mixture and blend:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup our own maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixer, until just blended. Stir in by hand:
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Drop by rounded teaspoonfulls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 F oven for 10-11 minutes, until set around the edges but still soft on top.
I was also thinking that replacing the chocolate chips with dried cranberries and/or white chocolate chips would be good, too. Maybe next time!