- 1″ thick beef chuck steak cut into 2″ chunks, or 2 lbs stew meat
- 2 Tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
Coat the beef in flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the garlic cloves and thyme leaves, then pour in the water and Worcestershire sauce. Bring up a simmer while scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cover and put in a 300°F oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and add potatoes and carrots. Stir and put back in the oven for another 2 hours, until the meat is tender and the vegetables are soft.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
Combine all ingredients. Drop by rounded tablespoon into the simmering stew, then cover and bake for another 15 minutes.