I’m reading through Sharon Astyk’s Independence Days, and she suggests making a plan for food preservation for the year. Since we’re already out of strawberry jelly and tomatoes, I thought it might be a nice time to get together a list of the minimum amounts I’d like to get put away in the coming year.
- 2 dozen half-pints strawberry jam
- 1 dozen half-pints peach jam
- 2 dozen pints canned peaches
- freeze 10 lbs Maine blueberries
- 3 dozen quarts canned tomatoes
- freeze 5 dozen ears of corn
- freeze as many raspberries as possible
- 3 dozen pints applesauce
- 6 quarts apple pie filling
- 6 pints cranberry-applesauce
- 6 half-pints cider jelly
So that’s a minimum of what I’d like to get preserved this summer, and anything else will be bonus. I have no idea if this is realistic to think I’ll get it done with a baby, but I guess we’ll see.
We’ve still got a long winter to go, and I guess that’s why I’m thinking of this now! Plus when it’s chilly and icy here, it’s nice to think about standing over a pot of boiling water.
Has your pantry run out of anything yet? Do you have goals for the next growing season?