Thanks to Tree Huggin Momma of Frugal is Green a Journey for giving me this Sunshine Award! That pretty picture sure did brighten my day!
I’m supposed to pass on the sunshine to 12 bloggers, link to them and let them know about it! So I’m passing it on to 12 bloggers who brighten my day when I stop by to visit them.
- Jena of Married to the Farm
- Ruth of Everyday Woman (aka my mom)
- Aisling of the Quiet Country House
- Rob of Rob’s World (who just awarded me the Kreativ Blogger Award)
- Country Girl of May All Seasons be Sweet to Thee (who also recently gave me the Kreativ Blogger Award)
- Laura of A Pug in the Kitchen
- Jessica of Days of You and Me
- Kayla of My Polychrome Life
- Lisa of Retro Housewife Goes Green
- Matron of Husbandry of Throwback at Trapper Creek
- Deanna of Crunchy Chicken
- The ladies of the Green Phone Booth
Thanks for brightening my day!
Thanks to Country Girl for the Kreativ Blogger Award! I’m supposed to write seven things you may not know about me, and I’ve decided to write about how I realized how unprepared we are for power outages when, this morning, the power went out!
- Thinking “Hey, it’s pretty windy! Tree limbs are down! I should put a pitcher of water in the fridge in case the power goes out…” is not a substitute for actually filling a pitcher with water and putting it in the fridge. Fortunately there was enough water in the pipes for both of us to brush our teeth this morning. But not enough for Ed’s shower or coffee or my water bottle.
- We do not own a flashlight, or if we do, we have no idea where it is. They’re pretty hard to find in the dark.
- A power outage in a snowstorm when we’re snowbound at home is one thing, but a power outage when we both still have to leave the house by 6:45 is another. It’s still dark then… see #2.
- Ed shining his cell phone light directly into my eyes as I try to sift through the laundry basket to find matching socks is not helpful.
- It’s very difficult to apply eyeliner by candle light.
- Ed does not find it funny when, after he tells me he’s worried about the meat in the freezer, I suggest he go open the door to the freezer repeatedly to check on it.
- After we struggle through getting ready, making breakfast and fixing lunches, as we’re headed out the door for work, the power will go back on.
So I’m going to pass on this award to some of the folks from my Introduce Yourself post, since that’s where I first met Country Girl.
Thanks to Lisa of Retro Housewife Goes Green for giving me this Kreativ Blogger award!
Here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who gave this to you.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link the person who nominated you.
4. Name seven things about yourself that no one would really know.
5. Nominate seven “Kreativ Bloggers.”
6. Post links to the seven blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know you nominated them.
So… here are seven things that only my close family and friends might know about me. I’ve decided to do a high school theme, for a little flashback, since my 10 year reunion is coming up in a few weeks.
- I worked in the farm market throughout high school, and even got the title of “shift supervisor,” which meant it was my fault if something went wrong.
- My favorite teacher each year was usually my math teacher, but I also loved my Spanish teachers. My favorite teacher overall was my Calculus teacher.
- I played a forward, then a goalie, then a forward again for the field hockey team. I quit goalie because I loved that the field player’s uniform had a purple plaid skirt.
- I was a benchwarmer for the basketball team. I did not love those uniforms, but the bus ride to away games was my favorite part.
- I was also a big nerd, and spent that time on the bench studying vocabulary or physics. Funny, I had no clue that I was a nerd then.
- My favorite project was a Spanish skit that we decided to do a cooking show for. We made burritos and fed the whole class.
- I had a really great group of friends in high school, and I’m headed out to see two of them tonight.
I’m supposed to nominate seven Kreativ bloggers now, but I just did that last week! So, if you’re reading this and want to play along, consider yourself nominated!
1.) Thank and post URL to the blog that gave the award.
Thanks to Rob for nominating Farmer’s Daughter!
2.) Pass the award along to 6 brilliantly over the top blogs (blogs you love!) Alert them so they know to receive the award.
Married to the Farm
Jena shares the trials, tribulations and successes of being a young farming couple
Laura shares wonderful recipes from a new super mom
3.) Copy and paste this quiz… Change the answers, ONE word only!!
1-Where is your cell phone? car
2- Your hair? air-drying
4-Your father? Farmer
5-Your favorite food? macouns
6-Your favorite drink? water
7-Your dream last night? strange
8-Your dream/goal? lots
9-What room are you in? great
10-Your hobby? here
11-Your fear? roller coasters
12-Where do you want to be in 6 years? here
13-Where were you last night? um, here
14-Something that you aren’t? underweight
16-Wish list item? food mill
17-Where did you grow up? haha here
18-Last thing you did? shower
19-What are you wearing? jammies
20-Your TV? 30 rock
21-Your pets? the best
22-Friends? also the best
23- Your life? here
24-Your mood? sleepy
25-Missing someone? nope
27-Something you aren’t wearing? socks
28-Your favorite store? don’t have one
29-Favorite color? blue
30-When was the last time you laughed? few minutes ago
31-Last time you cried? dr. quinn
32-Your best friend? Ed
33-One place you go to over and over? work
34-One person who emails you regularly? mom
35-Favorite place to eat? kitchen
Rob was so nice to pass the Kreativ Blogger Award on to me! I’m honored. Now here are the rules for me to play along:
- List 7 things that I love
- Link back to the blog that awarded it to me
- Choose 7 blogs to award as “Kreativ Bloggers”
- Comment at each blog to let them know they’ve been chosen
Seven things I love:
- Ed, my husband of almost five years
- Our whole, big, extended family
- Blue hydrangeas
- Animals: Duke, Eddie, Annabelle, Bill, Vinny, the new calf, and all the other animals, too!
- Pie, especially with a crumb topping
- Summer vacation
Here are the seven folks I think are Kreativ Bloggers!
- Green Mamma– Jessica’s photos are great, and her new Etsy shop, Starr Mountain, also shows off her creative side.
- Little Mountain House– I’ve enjoyed reading about Angelena’s creative son’s adventures in the music biz lately.
- Married to the Farm– Jena has been very creative, designing and building a new chicken coop out of recycled materials.
- Embellished Day– Aja has been posting about her upcoming wedding. Since both she and her fiance are artists, it’s sure to be a wonderful event.
- The Spectrum– Laura keeps me laughing with her New York tales. She’s also an amazing singer and actress.
- Strocel.com– Amber manages to raise two little ones and write about environmental issues.
- Musings of an Everyday Woman– Ruth (a.k.a. my mom) manages to keep up with three blogs: her personal blog, her educational blog, and the blog for our farm market, Rose Orchards, that we co-author.
There’s an article about the award ceremony in the Lifestyle section of the local paper today! Check it out!
Catching up with Hamden-North Haven League of Women Voters Honorees
Tonight I was so incredibly honored to receive an award from the local League of Women Voters at their Women in History Month Celebration. The theme of this year’s awards was “Women Taking the Lead to Save Our Planet,” and seven different women were honored. I got to meet really amazing women who are all working to preserve our environment.
Here I am giving a short speech. I spoke about the importance of being a good role model, told about what I have learned from my students, thanked my family and my husband. I even choked up a little at the end when I said “I would especially like to thank my students for truly believing that they can save the planet. They lack the cynicism that often comes with age, and they give me hope for the future.” At least that’s what I tried to say, but I’m not sure if everyone could understand. What can I say? I’m a crier. I get it from my mom.
Here are all of the honorees: a local reporter who has covered environmental issues and her battle with breast cancer, an Inland Wetlands Commission member, a middle school teacher, an Earth Day celebration coordinator, a town recycling coordinator, and me.
Me and Ed with my certificate. We were also joined by my mom (who took the pictures), Ed’s mom, my friends and colleagues Sue and Bob, and a couple of former students…
Me with my former student Kayla. Last year, Kayla coordinated the Green Awakening Fashion Show and I supervised her project. She was a special guest because she’s here on spring break from her year abroad in Italy. I was honored that she’d take time off of her spring break to come see me get an award! She also brought her boyfriend Aaron, another former student that I was happy to see again. They gave me those roses, too. I’ve told Kayla that when she’s a famous eco-designer, she has to give me free clothes.
I had a wonderful night!!!