I have always loved the lemon part of the lemon meringue pie. My brother and I used to share our pies- he could have to white and I got all the yellow. There’s something about the meringue that I don’t like, even though I do think it’s beautiful to see meringue piled high on top of the bright yellow of the lemon layer. So for this Easter I decided to try making lemon cream pie. I tried a couple recipes with pudding mix but couldn’t get exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to use my mother in law’s key lime pie recipe since I love it so much. This is her recipe, just substituting in lemon juice and zest instead of the key limes. And it came out perfectly!
Lemon Cream Pie
- Pre-baked pie crust or graham cracker crust, cooled
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- Whipped cream or cool whip for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine zest, lemon juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks mixing bowl and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool for about an hour on the counter and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Top with whipped cream or cool whip and serve cold.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for a couple days, if they last that long!