The Spring Celebration begins today! Please join in by sharing your favorite birthday recipe!
I love, love, love lime. I remember trying fresh-squeezed limeade during a plantation tour in Jamaica (like 18 years ago) and it was one of the highlights of my trip. My favorite flavor of any candy is lime: sour patch kids, skittles, tootsie rolls, lolly pops, even green M&Ms. But my absolute favorite lime dish is Key Lime Pie. It has to have whipped cream on top, not meringue, and it has to be creamy yellow, not dyed green. This is my mother-in-law’s recipe, which she makes for my birthday each year. The picture below is from my birthday last year, just a few hours before labor started. (Before you think about trying Key Lime Pie to bring on labor, remember that Joshua wasn’t born until nearly two days later…)
Key Lime Pie
- baked pie shell (baking instructions)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
Whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk until well blended. Add lime juice and zest and whisk to combine. Pour into cooled pie crust and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Cool completely and chill.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Whip all ingredients together right before serving. Top pie with whipped cream and serve.
Please share a link for your favorite birthday recipe, and I’ll add it to this post! (But give me some time, I have to work til 2pm, plus it’s my birthday! I’m 30!!!)
Other Birthday Recipes
- We also have another pie for my birthday: Chicken Pie! Check out the story behind this tradition and my recipe, too.
- Luschka shares her Gran’s Flop Proof Chocolate Cake that looks so yummy! I’m a novice cake-baker so I’ll have to try it!
- Lisa baked Easy Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Mmmmm cream cheese icing… nuff said!
- Melissa posted one of her favorites, Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Cake that she’s making for her daughter Annabelle’s birthday, which just happens to be the same day as Joshua’s.
- Laura made a Pink Lady Pie that looks like the perfect girly dessert. I can’t wait for fresh rhubarb to try it!
- Jennifer shares a gluten-free Quinoa Chocolate Cake recipe. She says she ate an entire cake by herself in one day, so it must be good!
- Julamber baked a Chocolate Beet Cake for her daughter’s first birthday. Dwight Shrute would approve!